ŠKODA Tour de Conamara, Postponed to Saturday 29th August 2020
In the interest of public health and on the advice of the relevant authorities, the 2020 ŠKODA Tour de Conamara, scheduled to take place on Saturday 23rd May is being postponed to Saturday 29th August 2020.
This decision is taken in the best interest of cyclists, marshalls, event team and the host communities across Connemara. We hope that all will be back to normal at that stage, allowing us to cycle safely together and deliver a fantastic ŠKODA Tour de Conamara 2020 experience for all cyclists.
WHAT TO DO NEXT
All participants who have registered for the 2020 event will be automatically transferred to the rescheduled event. Cyclists will be provided with a seven day window to cancel their registration until March 25th. After this date cyclists can still transfer their place to another cyclist.
Cyclists who have registered for the event have a 7 day window to cancel their registration and receive a refund of the event registration fee of €48. This extends from March 18th 2020 to March 25th 2020. The offer is limited to this timeframe and will not apply after March 25th.
You can logon to cancel your place at the event HERE
When this refund period is closed we will continue to facilitate the transfer of places among cyclists as we have always done.
This still must be arranged between cyclists who MUST advise eventmaster of change of participant details. (email support at eventmaster.ie to receive the transfer form).
If a transfer is made without notifying eventmaster, that entry is considered void and the cyclist is not registered for the event. Unless we have the details of the transfer between cyclists, the person in receipt of the transferred place is not viewed as part of the event and not entitled to the services / supports of the event.
The event in August will continue to provide cyclists with 140km and 80km route options.
The following applies after the window to claim a refund is closed;
REFUNDS / TRANSFER OF ENTRIES
As stated as part of the event registration process and in the event terms and conditions there are no refunds or deferrals are issued for the event. We allow the transfer of places between cyclists up to ten days before the event. We do not operate a waiting list so it is up to the cyclists to arrange for another cyclist to take his/ her slot if they are transferring their place.
Please do not attempt to cycle under someone else’s name without transferring through Eventmaster.
If a cyclist takes a transfer place and does not go through the proper transfer process they will not be entitled to take part in the event or registered to receive event supports. This will be strictly enforced this year. If you do not go through the transfer process you are not covered by the event and will not able to access event services. Cyclists must go through the transfer process so the event has the correct details in the case of an emergency.
HOW TO TRANSFER YOUR PLACE
You should email email@example.com in order to transfer a place between cyclists. There is an adminstration fee of €5.00 for place transfers that will be charged by eventmaster during the transfer process.
Please note there are no deferrals to next years event or to another event in the ŠKODA Celtic Series.
If a cyclist takes a transfer place and does not go through the proper transfer process they will not be entitled to take part in the event or registered to receive event supports or access event services.
Transfers will be accommodated until 7 days before the event.
START PREPARING – YOUR REGISTRATION FORM IS YOUR ID FOR SIGN ON
To sign on for the event and collect your event ID you must bring the confirmation of registration form that you received by email when you registered. This will be scanned from your phone or if you print out the form.
Your form (on your device or printed) will be used for scanning you into the event and is designed to speed up the registration process for cyclists. If you did not receive the registration form when you registered contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Please do not leave this to the day before or day of the event to check as the team will all be on site.
BIKE PREPARATION NOTICE
The majority of technical issues / bike failures happen in the first 20-30km of the event. This is because cyclists do not check their bikes or simply pump their tyres. Avoid the hassle of a mechanical issue by getting your bike looked at or simply pumping your wheels. Don’t forget to bring spare tubes for your wheels. Bike mechanics are located at each feed station. There are a number of roving bike mechanics that will try and sort out any issue on the route but you may be brought to a feed station if additional work is required. You can expect time delays as mechanics make their way to you in the case of a mechanical.
EVENT START TIMES
• The 140km cycle starts at 9.30am
• The 80km cycle starts at 10.30 am
• Both cycles start from the courtyard of the Clifden Station House Hotel.
• If you are cycling in the 80km event please do not enter the start area with your bike until the 140km cyclists depart at 9.30am.
• Please leave plenty of time to get to the event sign on as there will be a lot of traffic on the access roads to Clifden.
EVENT SIGN ON
There will be three options for participants to sign on for the event. At sign on you will receive your event jersey and event ID. You must display your event id to gain access to the feed stations and avail of on route supports. You will need your event wristband to get the BBQ at the end of the event.
Sign On – The Night Before – Friday 22nd May
Galway City – Between 4.30pm and 8.30pm at Monaghan’s ŠKODA garage on the Tuam Road, Galway City
Clifden – Between 4.00pm and 9.00pm at the event office directly beside the Clifden Station House Hotel
Sign On – The Day of the Event. Saturday 23rd May
Event sign on starts at 7.30am on the morning of the event. The event office is located in the Hotel Theatre directly beside the Clifden Station House Hotel.
YOU MUST BRING YOUR EVENT TICKET THAT WILL BE SCANNED TO ALLOW YOU ACCESS TO THE SIGN ON AREA. This was sent to you when you registered and includes a bar code for scanning. You will also have to sign this form before you arrive. Sign it when you print it and avoid delays.
What you will receive when you sign on for the event:
1. You will receive your ŠKODA Tour de Conamara cycling gift and event materials – Cyclists who purchased an event jersey when they registrated will recieve them at sign on. The jersey size ordered will be the jersey you will recieve.
2. You will also receive your event identification that you must wear in order to access the Feed Stations and gain access to the event start area. (You will replace a bike tag and wristband) You must present your ID wristband at the end of the cycle in order to get your BBQ burger at the Clifden Station House Hotel.
3. Event map and event safety guidelines.
When you sign on for the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara you will receive two forms of event identification
1. Bike Event ID – to be attached to the front of your bike – without this bike ID you will not be able to enter the start area or avail or on route services / supports and food stops. (this bike tag will also allow you access to event pictures specific to you. See below)
2. Event wristband with bar code and event number – You must wear this event wristband in order to cycle. This will contain the event emergency numbers. These will be colour coded based on the event you are cycling i.e. 140km or 80km. You will need to display your event number to access the food and refuel stops on the routes.
Please note if you have pre-purchased an event gillet as part of your registration, these can be collected when you sign on for the event. We do not post out gillets for no shows. If you are not attending the event and have purchased a gillet, it is your responsibility to have it collected on your behalf.
There are a number of dedicated event Car Parks including the Clifden Commercial Mart and the Eir site on the Galway entrance to the town directly after the Gardai Station.
Please do not park on Church grounds in Clifden or in commercial retail car parks (LIDL or ALDI). Please respect the residents of Clifden and commercial premises in the town.
NB: The ŠKODA Tour de Conamara is not a closed road event and you must adhere to the normal rules of the road.
- Cycling on the route is maximum of two a breast.
• The event is a sportive and not a race and you are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others on the road.
• Your will receive an event map and key safety details at event sign on.
• The routes selected for the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara are generally quiet roads but you will encounter some main road junctions. Be please aware of traffic on all roads.
• ŠKODA marked directional signs will be placed throughout the route and marshals will be evident throughout the route. Please remember marshals are only there to assist. You must check for oncoming traffic at all junctions
• All participants will be provided with an emergency contact number in the case of an emergency on the route. Please note this is not a number for bike repairs.
• You are responsible for taking part in the event on a safe and suitable bike. Participants are responsible for their own bike maintenance. There is limited mechanical support system will be in place and will sweep throughout the route. Don’t ruin your enjoyment of your day by turning up on a bike that has not been checked.
• Please ensure you have spare tubes in the event of a puncture and do not rely on the emergency number for help with changing punctures etc.
• No earphones permitted
• No tri bars permitted
If you register for the 140km you cannot access the 80km feed station which is only stocked with refreshments for those who registered for the 80km. Carna is the first dedicated food stop for the 140km which comes 10km after the Cashel feed station.
140km FEED STATIONS:
The feed stations for the 140km route are located at
1. Carna Community Centre (at 50km)
2. Maam Valley Community Centre (at 90km)
3. Totum Sport Hydration Station at Kylemore (at 120km) (water and fruit only)
*Please note Cyclists on the 140km will not be able to access the 80km feed station which caters for the numbers registered on the 80km event. Please support our event marshals by not trying to access feed stations that are not created for your cycle.
80km FEED STATIONS:
The feed stations for the 80km route are located at the Cashel Community Centre (located at 39km) plus a Totem Sport Hydration Station at Kylemore (60km) (water only).
Please note that if you do not avail of the first stop at Cashel Community Centre, it will be 60km before you reach the Totum Sport Hydration Station. The refuel station is a water break and not a feed station.
We recommend you also bring also your own supply of cycling gels, bars and drinks.
Ambulances and roving paramedics will be available all day, should anyone require medical assistance it will be administered in the fastest possible time-frame. Please call the emergency contact number provided on the day for medical emergencies.
The 140km and 80km routes are marked out with distinctive ŠKODA directional signage.
WHAT TO BRING:
Your bike must be in good working order to cycle either the 140km or 80km routes
– Water bottle (s)
– Spare tubes and a Puncture repair kit
– Mobile phone with credit
– Emergency money & ID
– Energy snacks
– Wind / Rainproof top – Participants must be aware that weather conditions in this area can change and you should bring appropriate clothing to keep warm in any adverse weather.
– Sunblock – we hope you will need plenty of this.
AFTER THE EVENT
After you cross the finish line you will receive your well earned 2019 ŠKODA Tour de Conamara finishers medal. There will be a presentation area for some pictures and this year you will receive a well earned BBQ at the ŠKODA BBQ pit. You will have to present your event wristband in order to claim your well earned burger. No ID band, no burger. (One burger per cyclist) Vegan and Vegetarian options will be provided.
There will be on-route photographers capturing pictures of as many cyclists taking part in the event as possible. The event cannot guarantee that all cyclists will be photographed but will be doing our best. Photographers will be at the event finish and podium area as well. Images will be uploaded to our Facebook page after the event.
After the event we will also send a link to you where you can access event pictures specific to you based on your event number.
PLEASE NOTE: All participants should be aware that event photography will be taken throughout the route and used in social media and event promotion.
Showers will be provided at Clifden GAA Clubhouse and at the Clifden Station House Hotel.
Please be aware that these facilities have a maximum capacity and you may be directed to one or other.
CULTURE DE CONAMARA – CLIFDEN
Clifden and the wider Connemara area is ready and waiting for the cyclists and their friends and family. A wide range of entertainment options will be hosted in the area on the night before and night of the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara. Music and entertainment is available in the Clifden Station House Hotel, EJ Kings, Guys, Lowrys and plenty more venues throughout the area.
NO HELMET NO CYCLE – this will be strictly enforced
LEAVE NO TRACE: The event operates under a Leave Non Trace litter policy. Please respect the Connemara countryside and its residents and bring home your litter. Please do not litter the area with gel sachets, empty bottles or food wrappings etc. We are committed to improving our environmental practices each year which includes reducing levels of packaging, printed materials and use of plastic.
PUNCTURES Please ensure you can change a puncture and bring spare tubes. It may be some time before support can arrive to a spot where a cyclist may have picked up a puncture so please ensure you can change your own wheel or cycle with someone that will assist you to avoid long delays that will impact on your enjoyment of the day.
We hope you have a great day on what we believe is Ireland’s most scenic cycling sportive around set against the backdrop Connemara and the Wild Atlantic Way.