2018 ŠKODA Tour de Conamara
The ŠKODA Tour de Conamara will take place on Saturday 26th May starting and finishing in Clifden, Co. Galway.
ORDERING JERSEYS AND SIZE DETAILS
If you registered for the event and added an event jersey to your registration fee, you will be sent a new pdf of your registration confirmation details by Eventmaster that will include your jersey size on the form. This will be sent in the weeks before the event.
REFUNDS / TRANSFER OF ENTRIES
As stated as part of the event registration process and terms and conditions for the event no refunds are issued for the event. We allow the transfer of places between cyclists up to ten days before the event. We do not operate a waiting list so it is up to the cyclists to arrange for another cyclist to take his/ her slot if they are transferring their place.
There is an administration charge of €5 to transfer places between cyclists. Transfers will be accommodated up to Friday 18th May 2018.
To arrange a transfer between cyclists: email support at eventmaster.ie and they will transfer the places between cyclists.
If you have transferred a spot or received a transferred place – If you registered on time to qualify for an event jersey or added one to your entry – the size you requested will be the size given to the person you are transferring the place to. Jerseys are ordered based on what you ordered at the time of registration. At this late stage we cannot change orders.
The following gives you a flavour of what to expect in the build up to the event – this will be updated as we get closer to the event.
START PREPARING – YOUR REGISTRATION FORM IS YOUR ID FOR SIGN ON
This year you must bring the confirmation of registration form that you received by email when you registered. This must be printed out and signed by you and brought to the sign on event.
You will have to sign this registration form and present it at the event sign on (Friday or Saturday) in order to collect your event ID. Your form will be used for scanning you into the event and is designed to speed up the registration process for cyclists. If you did not receive the registration form when you registered contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Please do not leave this to the day before or day of the event to check as the team will all be on site. Wednesday 23rd May is the last day for online support in relation to your eTickets.
REFUNDS / TRANSFER OF ENTRIES
Transfers will be allowed up to 10 days before the event. The event accommodated transfers between cyclists from January 1st to May 17th. This will be strictly enforced with no exceptions.
As stated as part of the event registration process and terms and conditions for the event no refunds are issued for the event.
If you have already transferred a spot or received a transferred place – If you registered on time to qualify for an event gillet or added one to your entry – the size you requested will be the size given to the person you are transferring the place to. Gillets were ordered based on what you ordered at the time of registration. At this late stage we cannot change orders.
PREPARATION IS KEY
The majority of technical issues / bike failures happen in the first 20-30km of the event. This is because cyclists do not check their bikes or simply pump their tyres. Avoid the hassle of a mechanical issue by getting your bike looked at or simply pumping your wheels. Don’t forget to bring spare tubes for your wheels. Bike mechanics are located at each feed station.
EVENT START TIMES
• The 140km cycle starts at 9.30am
• The 80km cycle starts at 10.30 am
• Both cycles start from the courtyard of the Clifden Station House Hotel.
• If you are cycling in the 80km event please do not enter the start area with your bike until the 140km cyclists depart at 9.30am.
• Please leave plenty of time to get to the event sign on as there will be a lot of traffic on the access roads to Clifden.
EVENT SIGN ON
There will be three options for participants to sign on for the event. At sign on you wil receive your event jersey and event ID.
The Night Before – Friday 26th May
Galway City – Between 4.30pm and 8.30pm at Monaghan’s SKODA garage on the Tuam Road, Galway City
Clifden – Between 4.00pm and 9.00pm at the event office directly beside the Clifden Station House Hotel
The Day of the Event. Saturday 27th May
Event sign on starts at 7.30am on the morning of the event. The event office is located in the HOtel Theatre directly beside the Clifden Station House Hotel.
YOU MUST BRING YOUR EVENT TICKET THAT WILL BE SCANNED TO ALLOW YOU ACCESS TO THE SIGN ON AREA. This was sent to you when you registered and includes a bar code for scanning. You will also have to sign this form before you arrive. Sign it when you print it and avoid delays.
What you will receive when you sign on for the event:
1. You will receive your ŠKODA Tour de Conamara event jersey* and ŠKODA gift(PLEASE NOTE: The event jersey is given to cyclists who registered in the first 1500 places and cyclists who took the option to buy a jersey as part of their registration – no jerseys are available to purchase at this stage)
2. You will also receive your event identification that you must wear in order to access the Feed Stations and gain access to the event start area. (You will replace a bike tag and wristband) Your must present your ID wristband at the end of the cycle in order to get your BBQ burger at the Clifden Station House Hotel.
3. Event map and event safety guidelines.
When you sign on for the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara you will receive two forms of event identification
1. Bike Event ID – to be attached to your seat post – without this bike ID you will not be able to enter the start area or avail or on route services / supports and food stops.
2. Event wristband with bar code and event number – You must wear this event wristband in order to cycle. This will contain the event emergency numbers. These will be colour coded based on the event you are cycling i.e. 140km or 80km. You will need to display your event number to access the food and refuel stops on the routes.
There are a number of dedicated event Car Parks including the Clifden Commercial Mart and the Eircom site on the Galway entrance to the town.
Please do not park on Church grounds in Clifden or in commercial retail car parks (LIDL or ALDI). Please respect the residents of Clifden and commercial premises in the town.
NB: The ŠKODA Tour de Conamara is not a closed road event and you must adhere to the normal rules of the road.
• Cycling on the route is maximum of two a breast.
• The event is a sportive and not a race and you are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others on the road.
• Your will receive an event map and key safety details at event sign on.
• The routes selected for the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara are generally quiet roads but you will encounter some main road junctions. Be please aware of traffic on all roads.
• ŠKODA marked directional signs will be placed throughout the route and marshals will be evident throughout the route. Please remember marshals are only there to assist. You must check for oncoming traffic at all junctions
• All participants will be provided with an emergency contact number in the case of an emergency on the route. Please note this is not a number for bike repairs.
• You are responsible for taking part in the event on a safe and suitable bike. Participants are responsible for their own bike maintenance. There is very limited mechanical support system will be in place and will sweep throughout the route.
• Please ensure you have spare tubes in the event of a puncture and do not rely on the emergency number for help with changing punctures etc.
• No earphones permitted
• No tri bars permitted
140km FEED STATIONS:
The feed stations for the 140km route are located at
1. Carna Community Centre (at 50km)
2. Maam Valley Community Centre (at 90km)
3. ŠKODA Refuel station at Kylemore (at 120km)
80km FEED STATIONS:
The feed stations for the 80km route are located at the Cashel Community Centre plus a PowerBar refuel station at Kylemore (60km).
Please note that if you do not avail of the first stop at Cashel Community Centre, it will be 60km before you reach a Refuel station. The refuel station is a water break and not a feed station.
We recommend you also bring also your own supply of cycling gels, bars and drinks.
Ambulances and roving paramedics will be available all day, should anyone require medical assistance it will be administered in the fastest possible timeframe. Please call the emergency contact number provided on the day for medical emergencies.
The 140km and 80km routes are marked out with distinctive ŠKODA directional signage.
WHAT TO BRING:
Your bike must be in good working order to cycle either the 140km or 80km routes
– Water bottle (s)
– Spare tubes and a Puncture repair kit
– Mobile phone with credit
– Emergency money & ID
– Energy snacks
– Wind / Rainproof top – Participants must be aware that weather conditions in this area can change and you should bring appropriate clothing to keep warm in any adverse weather.
– Sunblock – we hope you will need plenty of this.
AFTER THE EVENT
After you cross the finish line you will receive your well earned 2018 ŠKODA Tour de Conamara finishers medal. There will be a presentation area for some pictures and this year you will receive a well earned BBQ at the ŠKODA BBQ pit. You will have to present your event wristband in order to claim your well earned burger. No ID band, no burger.
This year there will be on-route photographers to try and capture pictures of as many cyclists taking part in the event as possible. The event cannot guarantee that all cyclists will be photographed but will be doing our best. Photographers will be at the event finish and podium area as well. Images will be uploaded to our Facebook page after the event.
Showers will be provided at Clifden GAA Clubhouse and at the Clifden Station House Hotel.
Please be aware that these facilities have a maximum capacity and you may be directed to one or other.
CULTURE DE CONAMARA – CLIFDEN
Clifden and the wider Connemara area is ready and waiting for the cyclists and their friends and family. A wide range of entertainment options will be hosted in the area on the night before and night of the ŠKODA Tour de Conamara. Music and entertainment is available in the Clifden Station House Hotel, EJ Kings, Guys, Lowrys and plenty more venues throughout the area.
NO HELMET NO CYCLE – this will be strictly enforced
LEAVE NO TRACE: The event operates under a Leave Non Trace litter policy. Please respect the Connemara countryside and its residents and bring home your litter. Please do not litter the area with gel sachets, empty bottles or food wrappings etc.
PUNCTURES Please ensure you can change a puncture and bring spare tubes. It may be some time before support can arrive to a spot where a cyclist may have picked up a puncture so please ensure you can change your own wheel or cycle with someone that will assist you to avoid long delays that will impact on your enjoyment of the day.
We hope you have a great day on what we believe is among the finest cycling routes around set against the backdrop of the Wild Atlantic Way.
When selecting your gillet size it is important to consider the following:
- If you like to wear tighter fitting jersey, Order one the same size as your normal clothing size. As a guideline if you wear a LARGE in a t-shirt then L will be a snug fit on you. (Mens 42″ chest roughly)
- If you like to wear a looser fitting jersey, Order a size up from your normal clothing size. If you wear a LARGE t-shirt and prefer a looser fit cycling jersey then order XL.
As a guideline a small jersey is a regular comfortable fit for a female who wears size 8-10 in clothes.
The jerseys are unisex